Sore throats are painful, annoying and common. Summer or winter, they creep up on you at any time, especially if you are run down or burning the candle at both ends. A sore throat starts off as a scratchy feeling. It’s caused by inflammation of the mucus membranes that line the pharynx. They are often the first sign of a cold or flu.
Please stay at home if feeling unwell.
What are the symptoms of a sore throat?
Symptoms include pain when swallowing, or talking, and you may even have a raspy deep voice. Often, you’ll find your throat is at its worst when you wake up. It normally improves as the day goes on.
If the pain is really bad you may notice tiny lumps forming on the back of your throat. If this is the case you should seek medical attention as it could be tonsillitis, which may require antibiotics to help kill the bacterial infection.
What causes a sore throat?
Pain and swelling in your throat can be caused by:
- Bacteria or a cold or flu virus passed on from an infected person when they cough , sneeze or speak.
- Environmental factors such as pollution, low humidity (e.g. dry air due to air-conditioning).
- Lifestyle choices such as drinking, smoking or voice strain.
There are many possible causes of a sore throat, and it is important you see your pharmacist or a doctor if your symptoms get worse or last longer than 2 days or are particularly painful.
How to relieve a sore throat
Here are a few home remedies that will help you soothe a sore throat:
- Drink honey and lemon mixed in a cup of warm water.
- Gargle every hour with warm salty water (put ½ tsp of salt in 1 cup of warm water).
- Suck a lozenge - it creates more saliva to soothe an inflamed throat.
- Get yourself a humidifier. Dry air will aggravate a sore throat.
- Avoid swallowing solid food. Try smoothies or soups for the first day.
The analgesics in many of the Codral range of Cold & Flu products also provide effective pain relief.
Treatments for a sore throat
The most common cause of a sore throat is viral infection, which requires rest and recovery. Antibiotics will only help cure a sore throat that is caused by bacteria.
CODRAL® has an anti-inflammatory approach to treating a sore throat. If you are experiencing a cold or flu, there are a number of CODRAL® Cold and Flu products that can provide fast relief.